CBC’s food columnist Sarah Elton was in today to tell us about the stand-off in our city about backyard chickens. Earlier this year, Toronto’s licensing and standards committee upheld a ban on backyard chickens which prompted by-law officers to start enforcing the rules. Sarah spoke to one backyard chicken owner who told her that, chicken owners are standing firm and holding onto their chickens. They are now waiting to see what happens in Calgary this March when resident Paul Hughes will challenge that city’s by-law in court, arguing that it is unconstitutional and that it violates an international human right to food. Listen (runs 6:01) To learn more about the court case, here. And to find out more about what’s happening in Toronto chickens.
Food Column: Sarah Elton on Underground Chickens
By Carolyn on March 5, 2012
- Foodland Ontario on 1st National Farm to School Month in Canada
- Realizing Our Potential: Ontario’s Poverty Reduction Strategy « Sustain Ontario on Draft Ontario Food and Nutrition Strategy
- Welcome to Meredith Hayes as Acting Coordinator for the Ontario Edible Education Network « Sustain Ontario on Ontario Edible Education Network
- Mara Shaw on From Farmers to Food Banks
- From Farmers to Food Banks « Sustain Ontario on Ontario Passes Local Food Act