CBC’s food columnist Sarah Elton was in today to tell us about the stand-off in our city about backyard chickens. Earlier this year, Toronto’s licensing and standards committee upheld a ban on backyard chickens which prompted by-law officers to start enforcing the rules. Sarah spoke to one backyard chicken owner who told her that, chicken owners are standing firm and holding onto their chickens. They are now waiting to see what happens in Calgary this March when resident Paul Hughes will challenge that city’s by-law in court, arguing that it is unconstitutional and that it violates an international human right to food. Listen (runs 6:01) To learn more about the court case, here. And to find out more about what’s happening in Toronto chickens.
Food Column: Sarah Elton on Underground Chickens
By Carolyn on March 5, 2012
- New Toolkit: Initiating Sustainable Food Procurement Policies in Your Region on
- Employment Opportunity: Urban Agriculture Coordinator (FT) at the Stop Community Food Centre on
- 4-Plan Review Advisory Releases Report: Planning for Health, Prosperity and Growth in the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2015-2041 on
- Ontario “Eat Local” Groups on
- Province-wide Bee Protection Campaign Launched on