CBC’s food columnist Sarah Elton was in today to tell us about the stand-off in our city about backyard chickens. Earlier this year, Toronto’s licensing and standards committee upheld a ban on backyard chickens which prompted by-law officers to start enforcing the rules. Sarah spoke to one backyard chicken owner who told her that, chicken owners are standing firm and holding onto their chickens. They are now waiting to see what happens in Calgary this March when resident Paul Hughes will challenge that city’s by-law in court, arguing that it is unconstitutional and that it violates an international human right to food. Listen (runs 6:01) To learn more about the court case, here. And to find out more about what’s happening in Toronto chickens.
Food Column: Sarah Elton on Underground Chickens
By Carolyn on March 5, 2012
- Job Opportunity: Executive Director at LOFC Network
- February 4 RFP Deadline for LDCP Food Literacy Project
- “Advancing Farm to School in Ontario and BC” Grant Application Package Now Available
- Job Opportunities: 4 New Positions at Community Food Centres Canada
- Local Organic Food Co-ops Network Assembly